Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Roadrunner days

Do you ever take a breath and look at your day and picture the roadrunner from the old coyote cartoons? Sometimes I envision myself with that blur of legs going in a circle 90 miles an hour and still feel like I am not making much progress. Take today, for example. I think I have worn almost a hundred hats...short order chef at breakfast, chief "ironer" so clothes weren't wrinkled (which, for those who know me, know how much of a stretch that one is), lunch maker, carpool driver, end of school celebration attender, dog picker-upper from boarding, car drier-outer b/c one of the dogs played in the pool until pick up time and shook all over the car, business administrator, parent consultant, upset neighbor helper-outer, shoulder for office mate having a bad day, therapist, carpool driver again, childcare coordinator, dinner planner, homework adviser, bill payer, kitchen cleaner-upper, rule enforcer....can anyone relate? As I felt my shoulders beginning to tense, I prayed for God's grace, patience and ability to look at the humor while letting the frustration roll away. What a gift it is to be able to respond in so many ways and meet the needs of so many others. What would our world be like if we all reached out on any given day and wore the hats placed before us? I hope that this new insight will allow me to embrace roadrunner days and wear my hats with joy!

No comments: